miércoles, 4 de noviembre de 2015

Women’s Entrepreneurship Day: Speaking up and being bold in Liberia

Global Entrepreneurship Week is just around the corner, which means Women’s Entrepreneurship Day – a day celebrating the incredible work that female entrepreneurs are doing around the world – is also fast approaching. To mark the day, Virgin Unite is partnering with Virgin StartUp and WeWork to host a meetup on November 19th, inspiring women to 'Make it Happen'.

In the run up to the event, we’ve asked a few amazing female entrepreneurs what makes them tick, the challenges they’ve faced and who inspires them. Today we hear from Siatta Gardiner-Lewis, an entrepreneur in Liberia who set up Elohim Digital Graphics & Printing Services.

Tell us a bit about your business and your passions as a woman in business?


My business is all about printing. I love bringing out a ‘WOW’ in my clients when they see their graphic designs. The business started very small, in a one-room place with three people working with me. As clients began to gain confidence in me, they started telling more people about me. We then started doing more than desktop publishing and bigger printing jobs for government, NGOs and private companies.

My passion is doing my job excellently and meeting my customers’ expectations and needs. When my customers are satisfied with my work, only then am I pleased. l also have passion for my nation and  where possible I try to engage local young people in my work, in order to provide opportunities for them to gain a livelihood for themselves and their families. I hope to soon see a better and a more prosperous Liberia.

What are the toughest challenges you’ve faced as a female entrepreneur and how have you overcome them?


One of my toughest challenges when starting up was sexual harassment. When dealing with male clients there were times they’d get the wrong idea and look for an opportunity for a sexual relationship. I dealt with it by speaking up and being bold and in some cases by walking away from the business opportunity.

What are your top tips for other female entrepreneurs?


My top tips to other women entrepreneurs is to always have faith in God and in yourself.

How do female entrepreneurs in your country get support?


Female entrepreneurs in Liberia get financial support from their spouses, relatives or from joining a group or club. A very few number get loans from the bank because you need huge collateral to obtain these. Support in terms of business development and training comes from various international NGOs like Spark and The Branson Centre Scholarship Program.

What do you think are the most important policy or social changes needed to help female entrepreneurs?


More women in legislature will help to get women-centered policies passed. Establishing investment funds with exclusive support for women in business and reducing import taxes and corruption will also help female entrepreneurs.

Which female entrepreneurs do you look up to?


My Aunty Jemama Wolokollie owns an airline and is in the real estate business. I also admire my President, Ellen Johnson Sieleaf, because she is a very strongminded woman. I also admire and love the President of Germany, which is funny, but true – to me, she personifies women leadership.

Virgin have joined the Global Entrepreneurship Week 2015 campaign to help as many people as possible 'make it happen'. Take a look at our entrepreneurship content stories and learn how you can turn your idea into a reality and become your own boss.